<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d6566853\x26blogName\x3d1%25+inspiration\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://patke.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://patke.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d8220196945898414734', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Archives
Subscribe


Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Here it is...my 50th post. Not very many I know, but I think this might be a good time to say a word or two about blogging.

First off. I like blogging. I think it is an excellent way to get some of my thoughts out. It is a nice "little distraction" during the day and I like that I will have something to "look back on."

Second, I like reading other peoples blogs. It reminds me of a recent quote by Warren Buffet. ...well, I can't remember exactly, but something like "surround yourself with people who are smarter then you." Blogs make it easy for me to surround myself with people smarter then me. Sure I am reading some pretty bad ideas sometimes, but more often then not I read at least on good new idea a day. ...and I like the affect that has on my thinking.

But the question everyone is asking is: "Great, people like blogs. How can we make money off of it?"

Well, there are a few ideas from Google and others on this one but... Personally, I don't want to make money for my blog. I suppose that is not quite true. I would love to make a million from it, but I am not so bothered about making $50 from it. So, personally, I would not blog for profit.

"No big deal" you say. People will just insert adds on top of the blogs like they have done with webpages. Well, maybe, but the problem is blog readers. I read all of my blogs with a reader (...and I hope you do to - they make things soooo much easier.) The point is that with a blog reader you are parsing the XML before display. It is too easy to write a program that parses out the "offending" ad content - because, let's face it, people don't actually like ads.

So where do I think the money is? Readers and hosting services. ...people should be content with that. I truly hope that they do not figure out a way to tack ads onto blogs. Ideas are best when they are completely free for others to improve upon.

...but don't get me started on open source.

Permalink
Comments:

 
Just put comments up, so I though I would give it a test...

Post a Comment